Planters Electric Membership Corporation was formed in 1936 and was the 17th rural electric utility in the nation. Planters is a Touchstone Energy® Partner and is a member-owned electric Membership Corporation providing electric service to the people of Georgia in Burke, Jenkins, Screven, Bulloch, Effingham, Emanuel and Richmond counties. We are dedicated to providing our Members with dependable electric service at the most competitive rates. And because we are locally-owned and managed, you get responsive, customer focused service 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Touchstone Energy is a national alliance of more than 600 Membership Corporations in 44 states providing energy solutions to more than 17 million people. For more information about Touchstone Energy, click here.
Planters Electric Membership Corporation is also a member of the National Rural Electric Membership Corporation Association, a national service organization dedicated to representing the national interests of Membership Corporation electric utilities and the consumers they serve. NRECA’s more than 900 member Membership Corporations serve 37 million people in 47 states.
Our state trade association is GEMC,Georgia Electric Membership Corporation serving Georgia's 42 electric Membership Corporations, Georgia Transmission Corporation andOglethorpe Power. Through GEMC, all of Georgia's electric Membership Corporations pool their resources to gain strength and efficiency on issues common to electric Membership Corporations. GEMC is the publisher of GEORGIA Magazine sent to our members monthly.
Did you know electric Membership Corporations:
- Are located in 74% of the nation’s counties
- Are the largest electric utility network in the nation
- Total more than 900 local systems in 46 states
- Have 37 million member-owners
- Distribute power over 2.2 million miles of line
- Serve 75% of the U.S. land mass
- Own $60 billion in generation, transmission, and distribution assets
In Georgia, there are 42 electric Membership Corporations and they:
- Serve more than 3.7 million of the state's 8.1 million residents.
- Cover 73 percent of Georgia's land area.
- Average ten customers per mile of distribution line, compared with 35 customers per mile for investor-owned electric utilities and 47 customers per mile for municipal electric utilities.
- Employ more than 4,700 workers.
- Operate the largest distribution network in the state by far, with more than 153,000 miles of electric power lines.